If you are looking for a non-judgemental experienced therapist who will make you feel reassured and offer specialist support then you have come to the right place.
Communicate With Me is led by Charlotte Wood an experienced therapist with nearly 15 years experience working in both the public and private sector. Charlotte is highly specialised in Speech, Language and social communication assessment, therapy and educational support for primary and secondary aged children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
How can Communicate With Me help your child?
1-5 yr olds
- Saying more words
- Communicating wants, needs, views, wishes, opinions and feelings
- Asking questions
- Speaking more clearly
- Speaking more fluently
- Understanding the value of communication e.g. getting needs met and forming positive enjoyable social relationships with other people
- Developing the fundamentals of communication e.g. shared attention skills, facial expression, eye contact, gesture, and taking turns with others
- Developing play skills
- Alternatives to speech, e.g picture, symbol or object-based communication systems
- Understanding spoken words and sentences e.g in instructions, in conversations, in stories and in lessons
- Putting words together to make phrases and sentences
- Putting sentences together into stories (narrative) to express experiences to others
- Learning and recalling vocabulary
- Using visual supports like visual timetables or organisers
5-16 yr olds
- All of the above!
- Conversation skills – starting conversations, taking turns in conversation, staying on topic, how to change topics, active listening, ending conversations
- Friendship skills – developing and maintaining friendships
- Feelings and emotions, understanding the vocabulary of emotion, and emotional regulation
- Non verbal communication- understanding and using using facial expression, body language and tone of voice
- Self awareness and awareness of others
- Assertiveness in communication – saying ‘no’, asking for help
- Developing self esteem
- Understanding language associated with reasoning skills
- Critical thinking and evaluation skills
- Understanding non literal language like idioms, hints and indirect instructions.
- Understanding and making sense of real social situations
- Oral presentation and interview skills
- Learning about what their diagnosis or difficulties are and what it means