“To enable the communication and interaction skills of children, embodying holistic approaches that supports their understanding of the world around them and gives them means of expression to communicate and form social relationships”.
Charlotte Wood Specialised Therapist, Director of Communicate With Me
Charlotte’s therapy approach
Each holistic therapy session is uniquely tailored to your child’s age, own strengths, needs and personal interests. Being in your child’s natural or most enjoyable and motivating environment is so important, therapy can take place at home, the classroom, the playground, or whilst feeding the ducks at your local park!
Many children with communication or learning needs benefit from a multi-sensory teaching and therapy approach.
Where appropriate I incorporate movement, music, textures, sounds, food, symbols, videos and props (and much more!) into my therapy sessions. Whatever therapy approach I am using, I will always include an element of something that captures the attention and individual interests of your child.
Where appropriate, the following approaches can be offered in speech & language therapy sessions:
- Communication Passports
- Vocabulary teaching e.g. STAR approach
- Parent-child interaction (PCI) therapy
- Visual Supports
- Total Communication Approach
- Drama techniques including props, role-playing, improvisation, and scripts
- Music and Singing including musical instruments, rhythm, repetition, pitch, and volume.
- Solution focused therapy
- Growth Mindset
- Meta-cognitive strategies, self-reflection and self help
- Ipad apps
- Signing systems
- Jolly Phonics
- Cued Articulation
- Objects of reference and symbol systems
- Nuffield Dyspraxia programme
- Attention Autism Program (Gina Davies)
- Lego Therapy and other bespoke ‘team work’ (social skills) interventions
- Cognitive Neuro Psychology model
- Psycholinguistic framework
- Hanen approaches
- Narrative and Storytelling
- Social Stories
- Social Communication Strategies
- Colourful Semantics
- See and Learn Programme
- Core Vocabulary Approach
- Attention/ Listening Activities